Magnolia Media Company is looking for an Executive Editor to lead its highly motivated, fun, and supportive team. The editor would oversee two publications, the Ocala Gazette, a daily digital and weekly print newspaper, and Ocala Style, a monthly digital and print magazine serving the Ocala metro area.
The right candidate must have demonstrated success managing news staffs and be adept at reporting on political, social, economic, and cultural issues. Since investigative journalism is an essential underpinning of the newspaper, he/she would need investigative reporting experience to guide the team on such projects.
Ideally, the right candidate will have an advanced understanding of how creative design and storytelling go hand in hand to produce a visually pleasing newspaper and magazine and how to adapt content across print, digital and social media platforms.
Job duties (*Duties/responsibilities on the two publications will vary):
- Managing a team of eight staff and at least a dozen freelancers
- Attending meetings with the publisher to keep her informed of plans for the publication
- Managing budgets for the editorial team
- Developing and assigning stories to staff and freelancers
- Hiring and developing writers, editors and freelance contributors
- Consulting on the publications’ layout, design, style and tone with input from the creative director and publisher
- Overseeing the front-line editing of all content for accuracy, completeness, balance, grammar, style and structure
- Writing editorial pieces to contribute to the publication
- Assisting the publisher in staff development through coaching and recruiting
- Representing the publications’ editorial team at social functions
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Commensurate with experience and local market Florida Blue Health insurance
Two weeks paid time off Life Insurance
Candidates should email cover letter and resume to Jennifer Hunt Murty at email@example.com